Thursday, January 4, 2007

What do I say !

My first blog. So a beginner for all practical purposes. A late entrant, maybe. But after seeing all my friends burgeoning onto this domain of free expression, I thought, well what the heck, I can open an account and write something that's important to the world. So I go to the site, learn what is blogging, and open an account in 3 easy steps. Then, I come across a blank page. And a blank head. And I think, now what? I mean, I have got this entire space to fill up, write anything about everything or the other way round, and there might be someone who might find it worth reading. High hopes, I must admit! But what do I write about? Actually, I think I have nothing to say. Or maybe far too many things to say. And I can't choose any one amongst them.

Or, maybe, I know what to say, and to whom, and why, and when, but I just can't seem to figure out how. Come to think of it, I face this situation often. Not just here. Or anywhere. Any given place or time. Or context. This happens a lot of times. Times, when, I have something to say, and yet don't know how to say it. Or I may have nothing to say, and still think I need to say something. And whatever I say, it ends up being something I never wanted to say. Or I may have said exactly what I wanted, but the listener doesn't get what I wanted to say. Who's at fault?

I think, I lack a proper vocabulary, I tend to get stuck with words. Flowery words, you know; rosy words, precise words, jargon's and stuff. Stuff that gets the listener's attention. Stuff that can make you a master of words. Stuff that can get people to notice you whenever you say or write something. You may differ. You may say, know what, it's the clarity of thought that you lack. It's all in the content. It's not how you put it. It should come from deep inside the heart, you get what I'm saying? And then I ask you, you sure? You say, yes. And then I start thinking, if that's the case, then why do we need words? Isn't body language sufficient for that? What good are words if all you ever wanted was the emotion?

You would tell me, it's all in the attitude. Skills would follow if you have the right attitude. You are a wise person. I must agree with you. Then, why do people misunderstand? Why do a few words make or break a relationship? Why do people get hurt because they were told a few things by someone? I say, guess what, all that attitude and stuff, can be faked. Good actors can do that. And the listener won't even get a hint. You tell me, but that can't be sustained for ever, can it? I say, who cares about forever when it's all decided in a moment? You say, yes you can win with style for the moment, but in the long run, if you lack the right attitude, you're going straight out of the window. I say, let me enter first. Will think about all those things later on.

You tell me, well, get your thoughts together. Put them in a piece of mental paper. Get what you want to say, right. It's all about relationship, you know. It's all about the other person. You need to convey the message right there. That makes me think, well, shouldn't the other person be told all these things too? Do the listener know that she's all that important? Does she know that whatever I say would turn into exactly whatever she wants to hear? Or doesn't want to hear? So what do I say, exactly? I mean, what is even the point in saying things?

You tell me, it's communication. It's not about saying stuff. It's about expressing yourself. About emotions and feelings. Words are just like a conveyor belt. Passing stuff from one point to another. I ask you, well what if the other point is blocked? You ask me, what block? I stop for a moment, and say, you know, biases, expectations, cultures, even hostility. All this and may be more. You tell me, well I guess all this exists. And you need to get rid of them. No, not get rid of them. You accept that they are there, and try to work around them. I ask you, how? You tell me, that you need to figure out.

I'm stuck again.


14 comments:

Maverick said...

amazing start dada... i thoroughly enjoyed your post :)

what u faced is the same thing i faced when i started... i guess its something like being given a HUGE canvas and a brush in hand... u feel a sense of freedom as well as a sense of responsibility to use the freedom well... am i right?

i have been a lifelong lover of discussions on communication and i can truly say that what u have written about, i have asked myself a lot of times too...

its my opinion that communication is just about conveying what u think to someone waiting to understand what u want to say... that culd be thru words, actions, touch, attitude... or maybe nothing even...

how many times have we sat with someone without saying anything at all and still... everything was understood...

iv read somewhere that "in big things we show ourselves the way we want to be seen. in little things we show ourselves the way we are..." i think in every sphere, this holds true...

there is ofcourse the technicality of proper words, context, impact etc, but frankly the root of it all is a good thought... the rest is magic :)

as for the barriers u mention, i rem madonnas song...

"u only see what ur eyes want to see...
how can life be what u want it to be...
ur frozen... when ur hearts not open..."

Unknown said...

i am confused actually...nice start :)

Unknown said...

AWESOME..has always been a fan of urs

Anonymous said...

Bah bah besh besh.

Suswagatam!
'Ashun boshun shue porun,hamaguri din hamaguri';)

Bloge logan aar blogaan.

Hatturi Hanzo said...

words.....phrases.......questions........answers........confusions.........philosophies............put everything together in a post and what do you arrive at? SOB BAAL!!!!!!!!!!! :-D

Satraa said...

Your first post infused a lot of confidence in me because it made me realize that I am not the only lesser mortal in this wired world, who felt absolutely lost when asked to write a blog.

My otherwise idle greycells (yeah, I do possess them) got a bit shaken up while going through your post but in the end, it got stirred up enough as well to validate the universal truth... "Sob Baal" :))

Being the perennial lyadkhor that I was born as, I am seriously repelled by the idea of logging on to my blogspot account (of which, I forgot the password, anyway :P) and posting an official comment.

Satrajit Choudhury. :D

Keka said...

"it's only words" and are words all we have??
I get your point bujhli - and then enter another realm - bhab to aabar jhamela aachhe spoken aar written words er modhhye - bolle jotota impact hoye, totota impact written word er modhhye aana besh tough! bolar shomoy gestures, inflexions subconsciously affect kore listener ke - ei kotha bolar shonge shonge unconsciously matha nara - sheta dekhe to speaker andaaj korte pare if what he is saying is making sense to the listener.
jaihok - dwondo cholbei - tobe tor lekha ta pore mone hochhe jeno tui shamnei boshe bole cholechhish kotha gulo - aamio matha naarchhi aar bolchhi "thhik thhik"... motamot janano jonne boli - content is as important as the context, emotions ey bheshe gelei darun communicate kora holo emon na, ba darun shundor shobdo byabohaar korlei superb communication holo tar kono mane nei!
this is where you need to choose your subject, select your words and convey them effectively to your reader/ listener... bakita chhere de pathok/ srota'r opor... bujhle bujhbe, na bujhle aangul chushbe... baki all hair!!
good attempt!!! keep it coming!!! :-D

Heathcliff said...

mairi!!!! shala, sob baal!!!!

Saswata said...

What do I say!its come a full circle and back to me.For a first write-up its wonderful.Simplicity in language and clarity in thought is what is most appealing,at least to me.One wonders why this fella says that he cannot communicate..
bas ar parchi na,ebar banglay..btw, amar sathe communicate korte to tor kono osubidhe hoyna..communication to shudhu ekjon er opor depend kore na.tui jodi baal hosh ar onyo jon jodi chul hoye,tahole majhe gota shorir ta roye gelo,tai na??jaake bojhachchish ba bojhate cheshta korchish,tar'o to ekta bojhar khomota thakte hobe.tarpor abar onek e bujheo bojhe na,to sekhane communication skills dekhiye ar ki hoibek..jak ge,shala ki je likhlam jani na.
summary of my comment:- Great post,wonderfully put together with a very lucid language.waiting for more.sotti bollam,tui to abar sob kichui ulto mane kore boshish.
ar er por jodi tui bolish je tui injiri janish na,shala kyalan khabi.nyaka kothakar!

Saumyajit said...

chaliye jao...hothat mone porlo, amar blog tao bohudin holo update hoyni:(

Purav said...

The first blog from the great man, and it had to be on the topic i ponder most. great going! and thanks for that!!!

Well I believe that language basically is a means of communicating with another person or a group of people; and communication has a lot of other means, hidden means like body language, gestures, tone of speech etc.

Eventually, the message anyone wants to deliver, is not recieved completely and precisely. This, i believe, is the root cause of all the inarticulateness experienced by an individual.

Expressing oneself is difficult not only because of the lack of proper medium or the proper usage of medium, but also sometimes because of the fear of oneself being misquoted. After all, Man is a social animal, and doesnt want a wrong image of himself being potrayed.

Such barriers make it harder. I face a similar problem, and have yet not been able to correct it. Hopefully the blog will help all of us here solve this so called "mystery"...

The Dark Side Of The Moon said...

Well,well for a rookie i guess you are pretty good and lemme tell you that you can put aside all your doubts about your ability to get your points across!!I guess everyone has found in themselves the "lacuna"(if one can call it so)of finding the right words at the right place at the right time........and i guess that's what makes life so imperfectly perfect.....so kudos to you for having found a mode to express and share your "baal"issues,ideas,thoughts, reflections and contemplations......and if you still feel stifled you should consider taking an Airtel connection....to EXPRESS YOURSELF:D

Abhishek Roy / Arghyasur said...

Thank you people, thanks to all of you for going through my first piece of scribbling....just like the title of my post, I just don't know what all to say....just feels wonderful to see all of you welcoming me here. Sharing your thoughts. Trying to help me out. Thank you, once again.

Will try and put some more random thoughts. Jot them down as and when they come along. You got to discount my wordings sometimes; hard thing to ask for but then again, perfect communication is even harder I guess. I would try to put my thoughts across in the best way I can. Be there to tell me whether we got it right.

A comment. One of my friends was asking me why have I referred to the third person sometimes as "she". My answer, as I have told my friend, remains this: The pronoun "he" is not really a gender-neutral pronoun; rather, it refers to a male who is to be taken as the representative member of the group referred to by its antecedent. The traditional usage, then, is not simply a grammatical convention, it also suggests a particular pattern of thought......the use of "he" to refer to a person of unspecified sex has become a hallmark of old-fashioned language or sexism in language. It has become a common practice in most literature to consistently use "she" in such cases. I have just tried to follow the practice.

Keep posting!

Sleeping Child said...

wud say ... it meant nothing explicitly ...but yeah, mind is something that does less stupid thinking , more pragmatism intertwined with thoughts . But sometimes a soliloqy or a monologue is needed 4 mind to do something nonsense !!......hence the write up ...drags to the sense of lostness , sense of clueless life...... much much better than what we r all living now !!!!